This past summer has brought a change in my makeup application. I always wear eyeliner, I feel naked without it so I have a large collection. Even though I’ll always like pencil liners I really prefer gel liners and that’s what I wear at least 5 days a week. Until now that is. This has been the summer of liquid eyeliners. It started with Le Metier’s incredible eyeliner pen, it moved to Jane Iredale's excellent liquid eyeliners and now it’s MAC’s new Superslick Liquid Eye Liners that have me enthralled. I’ve been happily surprised with all of these liners and especially with MAC’s edition.
The Fabulous Feline
collection introduced us to 9 gorgeous shades with a new formula
($17.50). These are supposed to be permanent and I sure hope so since I
love the two I bought and can’t wait to go back for more. (The list of
colors is at the end of the review.) From what I’ve read MAC soaked the
thin pen in the Superslick water based formula. If you look at Temptalia’s picture
of the open pen (so much better than I can ever do) you’ll see what I
mean. She calls the formula watery but it doesn’t feel that way on the
eyes. They impart a little bit of an almost patent leather look but they
aren’t particularly shiny.
Here’s what I love:
- They glide on like a dream. I used to use MAC Liquid Last eyeliners and half the time I felt like they were gluing my eyelashes together or made my lashline look crepey. These just flow.
- The perfect amount of eyeliner comes out on the applicator tip.
- They last on me for a good 12 hours – top AND bottom lashline. It’s rare that a liquid eyeliner lasts on my bottom lashline especially in the summer.
- The colors are beautiful. It was hard to pick two but I was worried that I wouldn’t use them and I’m trying to cut back on buying just to buy.
- These are water
resistant yet they come off so easily. I use eye makeup remover on a
cotton pad and they are gone in seconds, no rubbing at all. The most
interesting thing is they are harder for me to get off my hand than my
- It’s easy for me to get a super thin line but I can also thicken it without a problem. If I make a mistake a lightly wet q-tip removes it easily while it’s still fresh.
Here’s what I don’t like:
- If you get the liquid in your eye it stings. The funny thing though is that even though I’ve done this twice, it didn’t make my eyes water. It just stings for about 10 seconds so I hold my lid away from my eye and that’s it.
- Even though MAC says they take 15 seconds to dry, they really take longer. I always do my eye makeup first so I put on my shadows and then the liner. I go on to my face makeup. Last I curl my lashes and apply mascara. By the time I’m ready to curl my lashes these liners have totally dried and I don’t get a smudged line.
I bought Defiantly Feline and Signature Blue. I was going back and forth between the blue and Smoky Heir (the plum) and decided on the blue. You know I’m going back for the plum as well as Marked for Glamor and probably Desires & Devices. Defiantly Feline is similar in color to my favorite Fluidline, Graphic Brown, so I’m especially happy to have a substitute for it. Signature Blue is a lovely navy even though my picture makes it look almost black. It’s really navy with just the right brightness.
If you are an eyeliner lover and you have any qualms about these I’m ready to tell you, it’s okay to make a change. I did and I’m not looking back. — MarciaEF
Grade = A
Nocturnal Bright silver pearl
Smoky Heir Dark blue violet with soft pearl
Signature Blue Dark navy with soft pearl
Pure Show Bright yellow-gold pearl
Marked for Glamour Mid-tone grey with soft pearl
On the Hunt True black
Desires & Devices Sparkling dark green
Defiantly Feline Chocolate brown with soft pearl
Treat Me Nice Emerald green with soft pearl
This review has also been published on Beauty Info Zone